Bertie Bassett ties the knot
Following up on the Bertie Bassett Story and the Who is Berties new girl video featuring Nikki. Bertie finally tied the knot with Betty on 12th February...
Bertie Bassett celebrates his 80th birthday by getting married!
Thursday 12th February... National icon and renowned ladies man, Bertie Bassett, today tied the knot at the Bassett's Factory in Sheffield. His bride, Betty, has sprung onto the celebrity scene in a matter of days after being identified as his new sweetheart.
The wedding coincides with Bertie's 80th birthday and Betty being chosen as the new face of Bassett's Red Liquorice Allsorts, the first character to be introduced in those 80 years.
Over 60 factory workers from the Bassett's line were given time off work to celebrate with the happy couple and some even got to play a role on the day. Factory manager, Shaun Wagstaff was Bertie's best man, having worked on the line for over eight years. He was joined by Craig Hitchen and David Golland as ushers. Emma and Kayla Owen, the daughters of factory worker Tyana Owen were Betty's gorgeous bridesmaids.
Bassett's Marketing Director, Cadbury UK, Martin Driver added, "Betty has already won a place in Bertie's heart but we're expecting her to be a big hit with the public too. We're confident that Bertie fans will approve of his new bride and wish them both the very best."
Best man, Shaun Wagstaff, said, "Bertie's been a big hit since he stepped into our lives back in 1929 swinging that liquorice cane and charming the ladies. I've only known him for eight of those years, but it's good to see old Bertie finally settle down – he certainly looked extra sweet for his big day."
Nikki Grahame - Who is She?
The new Bassett's Red Liquorice Allsorts contain red liquorice and will replace Bassett's Fruit Allsorts. The new packaging is red to reflect the contents inside and create instant differentiation from Liquorice Allsorts packaging. For those with a sweeter tooth look out for the "Betty" jelly sweet contained in all Red Liquorice Allsorts when enjoying a handful.
For updates on the happy couple, please check Betty’s Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/bettybassett. Also the Bassett's Who Is She facebook page. And on youtube check the Bertie's New Girl channel.
Prior to the wedding, some celebrity fans were suspicious of the new lady in his life and started a campaign to find out more. You can see their campaign video here:
Who is Berties new girl
Key moments in Bertie’s sweet life so far:>
· 1842 The first Bassett’s sweets are made when George Bassett founded his confectionary company in Sheffield, the oldest confectionary heritage in the UK
· 1899 Liquorice Allsorts are discovered by accident when salesman Charlie Thompson tripped up mixing all the different sweets he was carrying, creating the weird and wonderful mix of sweets that we know and love today as Bassett’s Liquorice Allsorts
· 1929 Bertie Bassett is born
· 1932 Liquorice Allsorts are exported to other North European countries
· 1987 A unique Bertie only sweet is created
· 1989 Bassett’s is acquired by Cadbury Schweppes
· 2004 Allsorts went beyond liquorice with the launch of Bassett’s Fruit Allsorts
· 2007 Allsorts packaging dramatically redesigned
· 2007 Allsorts ingredients only made with natural colours and flavours
· 2009 Red Liquorice Allsorts are introduced with character Betty on pack – the first new character for 80 years
· Today Bassett’s produce 14 million Allsorts a day and the sweets are sold all over the world